Easter is a really lovely time of the year, with all lovely the blossom and flowers finally coming up and the sun shining. The Easter season is commonly celebrated with the giving and eating of chocolate, usually in the form of easter eggs.
Chocolate is a popular treat for humans, but it’s also the most common poison to affect pets.
The chocolate consumption is usually not by choice of the owner – far more commonly the chocolate is stolen. Please ensure that your Easter Eggs and all chocolates are carefully put out of temptation or harms way.
The hard facts are that a small dog or cat (usually dogs due to their willingness to often eat anything – cats are often more fussy, although it is possible) can die after eating a single Easter egg. The chemical in chocolate that gives humans a pleasant buzz – theobromine – has a highly toxic effect on pets. The chemical toxicity is due to a methylxanthine (like theobromine), and results in vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, inflammation of the pancreas (i.e., pancreatitis), an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and can sometimes even cause death.